Register to play: https://2017surfnturf.eventbrite.com/
For more info: https://www.facebook.com/Dig4JimmyandDougSurfnTurf/
Surfing and volleyball are two of the most famous “south bay” activities and are integral to three great non-profit foundations in our community and the high school friends who inspired the creation of each foundation. Jimmy Miller, Eric Fonoimoana, and Doug Schneider grew up together surfing and playing volleyball with their friends and families at the beach. They all played for some of the greatest Mira Costa High School volleyball teams in its long history and put their dedication and efforts into the sports they love.
Jimmy’s love of surfing led to world travels and the creation of a surf school in Manhattan Beach. Eric’s love and dedication to beach volleyball led to successful career as an AVP pro and an Olympic Gold Medal. Doug played volleyball at UCLA and inspired the entire Schnedier family into the sport. All 3 were crazy good at just about everything they tried.
Tragically, we lost both Jimmy and Doug too early, but their legacies, especially in our local surf and volleyball communities will last forever.
To carry on their spirit we have created an event that encompasses the friendly and family style spirit of these two great beach sports in a unqiue way and supports the non-profits inspired by them. The Dig for Kids, Live Like Doug and the Jimmy Miller Memorial Foundations are proud to present the:
2017 Dig 4 Jimmy & Doug Surf N’ Turf Surfing and Volleyball Invitational
The goal is to have surfers playing volleyball and volleyball players surfing together and to invite all ages and skill levels of surfing and volleyball to come down to the beach to enjoy a day of friends, family and good times.
We will have a kids event for kids under 14 who are able to surf and play a little volleyball and a adults event for ages 15+.
All participants will get lunch, event t-shirt and trucker hat/ All winning teams will win prizes.
Check In: 7:30am
First Heat: 8:00am
Rules for Surf n' Turf
1) Teams of between 4-6 depending on participation will be created by the event committee based on age and self evaluated surfing and volleyball skills. For this year we plan to have a kids event and an adults event going on at the same time.
2) Each team will surf in one tag team style surfing heat and play in a round robin pool play style volleyball tournament. So yes- everyone will surf and play volleyball and no you are not able to do just one event.
3) Teams will be ranked based on place in each event and the team with best combined result will be the winner. There will also be prizes for best surfing team, best volleyball team and other fun and creative categories.
Golden Rule: This is a one of kind format with a goal of bringing friends, families and foundations together. Therefore- whining, complaining and any super aggressive win at all costs attitudes are not welcome.
Surf Portion Format 8:00am to 11:30am
1) There will be 4-6 teams surfing in each 30 minute heat with one surfer from each team in the water at all times
2) Each member of a team will be required to catch at least one scoring wave in the 30 minute heat. The highest score or each surfer will be added to the team total.
3) After catching a wave that the surfer wants to keep, they will run up the beach and tag the next person on the team
4) All waves will be scored by panel of 3 judges on a 10 point scale
5) Team scores will be tallied and the team with the highest heat score across all of heats will be ranked 1st in the surf event
Volleyball Portion Format 10:00am to 4:00pm
1) Team will be placed in a pool and will play each team in its pool once
2) Games will be played to 11 with side out scoring
3) Top team in each pool will advance to single elimination team draw
4) Finals will be one game to 15 points
5) Team scores will be tallied and the team with the highest heat score across all of heats will be ranked 1st in the volleyball event
What's the refund policy?
All fees are going to the 3 non-profits who are putting it on so we hope that you will consider your fee a donation but we will refund any requests.
Do I have to bring my printed ticket to the event?
No. Your name will be on a list
Is my registration fee or ticket transferrable?
Is it ok if the name on my ticket or registration doesn't match the person who attends?